Monday, October 15, 2012

A chance to make a difference

I recently found out about a website called Ilikegiving.com.  I was listening to Dave Ramsey (Love Him!) and he was talking about this very website.  It's a nonprofit group whose goal is to get people giving to other people.  Their time, money - whatever you have to share.    I've always loved volunteering and trying to find ways to give back - without sounding cliche - I want to make this world a little better....

I like giving, has a 3 day challenge you can take and my challenge today was to give money to someone.  It could be as small as a quarter to a child at a gumball machine or as large as a car!  I wish I had the funds to buy someone in need a car, but that's not what's most important.  I just need to share something with someone. 

My husband came home today and told me about an article he read called "At the corner of hope and worry".  It's about a woman named Donna Dove who owns a small diner in Elyria, OH.  Here is the link   http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/us/this-land-corner-of-hope-and-worry-elyria.html?pagewanted=all&src=longreads&_r=0

Times have been difficult for so many people for the last few years.  This is a story about one of those people.  For whatever reason, God has put it on my heart to reach out to this person so that's what I'm going to do.  I don't have enough to make a huge difference to her, but I'm going to do what I can.  The longer I live, the more I find true joy and happiness in helping people.....after all, were all in this together.

If you would like to help you can send a donation to:

Donna Dove
Donna's Diner
148 Middle Ave
Elyria, Oh 44035

I challenge you to do something for someone else today (or tomorrow!).  Share your time or money (it doesn't have to be much - whatever you can spare!!).  I don't know about you, but the feeling I get from helping someone in need is one of the best this world has to offer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment