Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Life on the Prairie...


Four years ago my life looked quite different than it does now. My husband was a coach for an NBA basketball team and we lived near Milwaukee, WI.  I enjoyed all the conveniences of living near a major city - lots to do, great shopping - you get the picture.  Unfortunately our team was not playing well and the powers that be decided they needed to "clean the slate" and fire everyone from the General Manager on down.  For the first time in my life I faced packing up my home and family and moving cross country - leaving everyone and everything I knew behind.

Now I'm sure that many people would take this in stride but unfortunately I was not one of them.  I really liked my life in Milwaukee and I did not want to see things change.  Seeing as my husband's new job was in Oregon, I left my home (kicking and screaming) and began our new adventure.  

I can't possibly describe with words how beautiful the state of Oregon in so I'll just share some photos:




Feet can be beautiful!


Our two years in Oregon were amazing and I will revisit it again, but for now I want to fast forward a bit to what life is like today!

From Oregon we once again packed the moving truck and headed east to trade mountains and ocean scenery for the great plains!


This is our driveway.  It's gravel.  I've never had a gravel driveway before. Of course I've never lived in the country before.  My husband grew up here and loves the wide open spaces and having his own land.  He's really happy...and I'm.....well I'm really happy he's so happy because he deserves this! 

When we arrived the temperature was around 100 degrees and humid.  It's dry, windy and DUSTY!  Once the shock wore off a bit I turned to my husband and said "well it's official, you've moved me to hell".  But he's so happy....so somehow, I'm gonna get used to this.

I knew I would be living in an environment unlike any I had experienced before and If I was to remain sane I would have to find the beauty in this very different landscape and way of living....

Our home is in a country subdivision, so I do have neighbors, but we all have at least 4 acres of land so it's really the best of both worlds; elbow room but with people near by - cause I need my people!


As you can see the landscaping has gone wild, but this was when we first arrived and I've been working on it with the help of my wonderful husband and friends!


My dear friend (and almost sister) Mary, came to visit right away!  She's really good with flowers and landscape so I put her right to work. Did I mention the temp. is 100 degrees and very humid...and DUSTY...and the dust likes to stick to sweaty skin.  I love her, she's a champ.












No comments:

Post a Comment